Table Of Contents
There are many Serial Port Data Acquisition devices on the market. Many of these devices can be used as simple data loggers. The steps to using them are as follow:
- Find a suitable Serial Port hardware device. The Basic Hardware is one such device.
- If the Serial Port device does not have a serial port to USB converter then you need to purchase one of those and then also download and install the driver for it. Such drivers usually layer an emulation layer on the USB protocol so that it appears as a serial port device.
- Plug the serial port DAQ device into the serial port to USB converter and then plug that into the USB connector on your computer. Then launch DAQ Plot and go to the Hardware Preference pane and select the serial port device from the hardware selector. It may be that the serial port device will not enumerate according to DAQ Plot's specification so that there is no guarantee that an unknown serial port device can work with DAQ Plot.
- Note the specifications for your serial port device communication attributes. DAQ Plot permits you to adjust some of the common attributes, however such adjustments may not be expansive enough for every serial port device so there is no guarantee that the correct attribute selections can be made.
- Then configure the serial port preferences according to Serial Port Preferences.